Several Guild initiatives have advanced as the result of my advocacy at the recent CWA Executive Board meeting. Among the projects CWA has committed to fund are:
- Creating a new permanent staff rep position that will be shared between TNG and our broadcast colleagues in NABET-CWA. That position will focus on assisting both groups with contract negotiations. Additional funds for “lost-time” negotiators as we’re doing in Omaha.
- Hiring another organizer paid through the strategic fund and dedicated specifically to media organizing projects.
- Redesigning the Guild’s web site and broadening the work of our communications staffer, whose current job description limits the scope of work she can perform.
- Providing more money for lost-time and freelance writers for Guild projects, enabling us to tap the skills and experience of our members for communications projects.
- Funding an additional organizing program for CWA/SCA Canada and continuing funding for its student program.
Additionally, delegates attending the CWA convention will consider budgetary changes that will dedicate more Strategic Industry Fund money to hiring permanent union staff. If convention delegates adopt the plan, TNG will be able to promote our lead organizer to a permanent position, assuring that we retain the very best talent to continue our organizing success.
I believe these developments provide even more reasons for Guild members to cast their ballot for my re-election. We are building the Guild together.